I’ve always been a risk taker. So when the opportunity arose to be a VP of Marketing in the startup Alliance of American Football league came along in Fall 2018, I jumped in headfirst. This dream role offered everything I needed for making a critical pivot in my career, transitioning from 10 years in B2B content production (editorial & conference / special events) to B2C / consumer brand marketing with experiential event opportunities.
In my brief tenure with the AAF, I was able to work alongside many talented and experienced sports executives, Hall of Fame Coaches, former NFL players and Super Bowl Champions, network TV talent and producers, as well as national digital and radio media personalities to tell the brand story and craft compelling content for all digital and traditional marketing platforms.
While the sudden closure of the league was a disappointing end that came way too soon, as our initial growth strategy was focused on profitability by Year 3, I am immensely proud of what we were able to accomplish from a marketing perspective in such a short period of time, faced with numerous challenges and limited resources. I experienced tremendous personal and professional growth in my role, and I would not trade the time dedicated for anything, it was an incredibly valuable learning experience.
As head of the marketing strategy for the Salt Lake Stallions for six months, I was able to:
- Hired and manage a marketing department of five direct reports responsible for producing top-quality content (photo, video, campaign graphics) for social media & editorial use.
- Develop and implement an integrated marketing strategy across multiple channels and platforms: digital content, email, digital advertising, print, outdoor, tv/radio, managed partnership programs, media and influencer relations.
- Managed over $200K in initial marketing budget. (end of Q4 / start of Q1 total)
- Created email marketing campaigns and drove lead acquisition and retention strategy, growing audience dramatically over a 4-week period and achieving open rates (avg 30-50% per campaign) well above industry standard.
- Oversaw experiential event planning, community relations initiatives, game day production elements and creatively managed event budgets.